John’s Grocery has been integral to the history of Iowa City since John and Erma Alberhasky bought the grocery business in 1948. But the history of the building goes back a century further. In fact, the State of Iowa itself is only two years older than 401 E. Market Street, which was built in 1848. Since then the building has been a grocery store, a fire station, an apartment building, a saloon, a barbershop, and even a toiletry factory for the Ernste Manufacturing Company. No matter what variation the building has always functioned as a service to the community. We honor that history by continuing to provide Iowa City and surrounding communities with great products and service.